Climbing Mount Kenya
Why take this trip?
- World class professional service on the mountain for the ultimate experience
- Highly experienced and professional guides that will be with you every step of the way
- Arguably the prettiest high altitude trek in all of East Africa
- Experience the thrill of summiting the 2nd highest mountain in Africa
- Enjoy breathtaking views all around you with exotic flora and fauna, glaciers and lakes on the mountain
Pumpkin soup at camp, crossing the equator, sleeping lion & above all making my way to the summit at night are all memories that are hard to wipe out! My life has been forever changed by this magical travel experience!!
Hala Mohie Eldin
The trip was beyond awesome!!
This trip really exceeded my expectations! Wild Guanabana offered me a life altering experience that I'll never forget for as long as I live. They had us well prepared & everything was well organized upon our arrival :)
- Sightseeing and/or relaxation
- Light adventure, no previous experience or training required
- A challenge, no previous experience necessary. A moderate level of fitness and preparation are required
- Previous experience and intensive training is required
- Basic: lodging in guest houses, small hotels and/or camping. Mix of private and public transportation
- Standard: Clean and comfortable accommodation and/or well-maintained campsites. Mostly private transportation with occasional public transport when unavoidable.
- Luxury: Hand-picked luxury lodging or pampered campsites. Private and upgraded transportation facilities.
tCO2 = Tonnes of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent
How we do it
As an ethical and responsible travel company, we reduce our carbon footprint by designing trips that are low carbon impact and carefully calculating the impact with the help of an environmental consultancy. We then buy carbon credit equivalents to offset all emissions that cannot be reduced including those resulting from our day-to-day business operations. Our offsetting is done through an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya. On request, every traveller receives their own PDF offset certificate post-travel. Wild Guanabana is the first carbon-neutral travel company in the Middle East & North Africa. Note: We do not sell or issue flight tickets ourselves so consequently we don't offset those emissions.
What does offsetting mean anyway?
It's a way of reducing your ecological impact by 'neutralizing' the impact of your carbon footprint. Actions associated with travel amount to around a third of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Carbon offsetting offers a solution to reduce the impact of your travel by purchasing carbon credits that are invested in activities that reduce CO2. While this doesn't erase all of the environmental impact, it does serve to help reinvest into the planet and contribute to activities which help its conversation. For more information on Carbon offsetting read more from our partners ERCC Carbon and our Sustainable Travel International.
Which month to travel:
Itinerary Details / Price Inclusions & Exclusions
Day 1: Hello Africa!
Today you will arrive in Nairobi and a Wild Guanabana representative will take you to your hotel. Rest of the day is spent at leisure.
Day 2: Briefing
Today, there will be a briefing session. You'll meet the team, relax and prepare yourself for the big day tomorrow!
Day 3: And We're Off! Marania Camp 3,300m (B/L/D)
Today you will leave your Nairobi hotel and drive northwest crossing the equator and then to the base of the Mount Kenya trail at 2,900m. Here you will rendevouz with your private guides and porters to start the climb at around noon. This is a relatively long day as it will take around 5 hours to reach Marania Camp. You will find yourself trekking through incredible scenery as you arrive in the middle of the moorland leaving behind a beautiful forest inhabited by a variety of wildlife including Zebras. Overnight Marania Camp in tents.
Day 4: Major Camp 4,000m (B/L/D)
After breakfast, we continue with the climb heading for Major's Camp (4,000m). Your path will be surrounded by plenty of Senecia and Lobelia plants and lots of chances to take incredible pictures! The scenery is simply incredible so make sure you stop frequently and take it all in. Lunch will be served at Allan's point and then we continue to camp. Today's is a 6 hours walk. Overnight Major Camp in tents.
Day 5: Relaxation Above the Clouds (B/L/D)
Today we will spend the day acclimatizing at camp, walking around the area and familiarizing ourselves with the surroundings. This day allows our body to acclimatize more efficiently in preparation for the high elevation day’s to come. Overnight Major Camp in tents.
Day 6: Shipton's Camp (B/L/D)
Today after breakfast, you will depart the camp and continue the ascent towards Shipton's Camp. The trek will take around 2.5 hours so you will arrive in time for a hot lunch. This is where you will start to see some exotic and extremely unique, high altitude fauna that only exists on the mountain! You will see the Rock Hyrax along with other strangely beautiful plants and greenery. Overnight at Shipton's Camp (tents)
Day 7: The Big Summit! 5,119m (B/L/D)
Today is the big summit day! You will wake up at 2:30am and have some tea and biscuits and then head off towards the summit! You will attempt the screech scree of the summit of point Lenana which will get you to the top just in time to watch the African sunrise! It's possible to see the Indian ocean to the East on a clear day and also Kilimanjaro to the West so make sure to keep your cameras handy! After taking pictures, you will descend further down to the Shiptons camp for a well deserved celebration brunch. You will have the rest of the afternoon to sleep, walk around, or go for a scenic walk around the Kami area to take more pictures. Overnight at Shipton's Camp (tents)
Day 8: The Descent (B/L)
Today is a long descent day. You will have breakfast and then start walking down the moorland vegetation to head off of the mountain. You will stop off to have lunch at the Old Moses camp and then head further down to Sirimon gate to be taken to your hotel for your well deserved shower!
Day 9: Departure
Today, you'll be transported to the airport for your flight.
- This price is based on 3 people
- All relevant Mount Kenya Park fees & rescue fees
- Highly professional and experienced guides (1 guide to 3 clients), Assistant guides, Cooks, Porters, and Camp Crew
- Expedition-class 3 people mountain tents for 2 people
- Walk-in mess tent
- Private toilet tent with camping style toilet
- 3-inch foam mattress and a sleeping bag (down to -20C) with fleece liner and cushion
- All meals as described above
- All accommodation as described above
- All transfers as described above
- First Aid Kit, oxygen, stretcher
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Drinks on the hike (potable water, tea, coffee & hot chocolate)
- Offsetting all carbon emissions of the journey in an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya (Wild Guanabana is the Middle East and North Africa’s first carbon neutral travel company)
- International flights to and from Nairobi, Kenya
- Evacuation Insurance
- Excess baggage charges and airport taxes
- Travel and medical insurance
- Entry visas
- Bottled beverages (we’ll boil and filter plenty of water on the climb)
- Tips and Gratuity (average of $300 per person)
- Gear rentals available at a separate price (please let us know if you would like to rent gear)
- International flights to and from Nairobi, Kenya