Why take this trip?
- Discover a whole new side of Turkey in this historical region in Central Anatolia.
- Hike surreal landscapes and explore the many villages.
- Cook and eat Turkish delicacies.
- Visit the deepest underground city of the area, Derinkuyu, 8 floors deep!
It was a great trip! amazing scenery, so much culture & rich history. Our guide wowed us with his knowledge of the country's history dating back to thousands of years. It was a great trip and I hope to travel with WG again!
- Sightseeing and/or relaxation
- Light adventure, no previous experience or training required
- A challenge, no previous experience necessary. A moderate level of fitness and preparation are required
- Previous experience and intensive training is required
- Basic: lodging in guest houses, small hotels and/or camping. Mix of private and public transportation
- Standard: Clean and comfortable accommodation and/or well-maintained campsites. Mostly private transportation with occasional public transport when unavoidable.
- Luxury: Hand-picked luxury lodging or pampered campsites. Private and upgraded transportation facilities.
tCO2 = Tonnes of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent
How we do it
As an ethical and responsible travel company, we reduce our carbon footprint by designing trips that are low carbon impact and carefully calculating the impact with the help of an environmental consultancy. We then buy carbon credit equivalents to offset all emissions that cannot be reduced including those resulting from our day-to-day business operations. Our offsetting is done through an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya. On request, every traveller receives their own PDF offset certificate post-travel. Wild Guanabana is the first carbon-neutral travel company in the Middle East & North Africa. Note: We do not sell or issue flight tickets ourselves so consequently we don't offset those emissions.
What does offsetting mean anyway?
It's a way of reducing your ecological impact by 'neutralizing' the impact of your carbon footprint. Actions associated with travel amount to around a third of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Carbon offsetting offers a solution to reduce the impact of your travel by purchasing carbon credits that are invested in activities that reduce CO2. While this doesn't erase all of the environmental impact, it does serve to help reinvest into the planet and contribute to activities which help its conversation. For more information on Carbon offsetting read more from our partners ERCC Carbon and our Sustainable Travel International.
Which month to travel:
Itinerary Details / Price Inclusions & Exclusions
Day 1: Arrival To History
After arriving in Istanbul, you catch an internal flight to Kayseri airport where you are met by our English-speaking guide, and driven by private transport to the village of Avanos, our base for the exploration of this region. You will check into Kirkit Pension, a 200 year-old authentically restored Ottoman guesthouse (or similar depending on availability). You have the evening to relax, explore the village and prepare to begin your adventure. As you move around the region, your luggage will follow you on private transport and be available at each destination you spend the night in.
Day 2: Into The Valleys - (B/L/D)
After breakfast, we’ll follow a track through the vineyards through some of the most spectacular landscapes of the area in the surrounding village of Çavusin. In the village, you will observe traditional Turkish village life that has remained unchanged for centuries. In the evening, you will be transported to the pension for dinner and our overnight stay. 5 to 6 hours walking.
Day 3: Underground Cities - (B/L/D)
After breakfast, we will head off by car to Derinkuyu, you will visit the deepest underground city of the area, Derinkuyu, 8 floors deep! After the visit, We'll then hike down the magnificent Ihlara canyon from Ihlara to Belisirma while visiting some of its Byzantine rock churches. After the tour you will be transported to our pension in Avanos for a well needed sleep.
Day 4: Istanbul Was Once Constantinople - (B)
After breakfast, you're transferred to Kayserli Airport for our flight back to Istanbul and then connecting flight home. At the crossroads of 2 continents, Istanbul still remains as one of the most fascinating capitals in history. From Its Byzantine origins, to its Ottoman past, then as a modern metropolis, Istanbul caters to all. After checking into our hotel in the historical Sultan Ahmet district, you'll have the rest of the day free to explore the city.
Day 5: Home Bound - (B)
We transfer you to the international airport for your flight home.
- This price is based on a minimum of 3 participants.
- Consultation on every aspect of preparation
- All ground vehicle transfers
- All accommodation as mentioned above
- All meals as mentioned above (B=Breakfast,L=Lunch,D=Dinner)
- All adventure activities as mentioned above
- All national park fees
- Professional English speaking guides throughout the journey
- First-aid Supplies and experienced professionals in its use
- Offsetting all carbon emissions of the journey in an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya (Wild Guanabana is the Middle East and North Africa’s first carbon neutral travel company)
- International return flights to Istanbul, Turkey
- Domestic return flights to Cappadocia
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Travel and medical insurance
- Excess baggage charges and airport departure tax
- • Discretionary tips and gratuity
- International return flights to Istanbul, Turkey