Fayoum, Hiking and Kayaking
Why take this trip?
• This short escape is ideal for people who can't take several days off, it's created to suit your weekend break!
• Hike over sand dunes and Kayak across the lake where you'll see Fayoum in a totally different light.
• At night, after an excitingly exhausting day, enjoy a delicious barbecue along the lake under the clear night sky.
I just loved that trip! I've never been to Fayoum & I never thought I'ld enjoy trips about camping & hiking! I recommend it to everyone looking for an easy, cheap & quick getaway from the city, WG had everything organized, Couldn't have been better.
The guides were super friendly and helpful. This was my first time with Wild Guanabana and I think the guides were the right ones to make the kick-start :)
The experience was amazing, truly life changing. The crew is beyond helpful and supportive! Would definitely join again.
Everything was organized and the people who joined the trip were great.
- Sightseeing and/or relaxation
- Light adventure, no previous experience or training required
- A challenge, no previous experience necessary. A moderate level of fitness and preparation are required
- Previous experience and intensive training is required
- Basic: lodging in guest houses, small hotels and/or camping. Mix of private and public transportation
- Standard: Clean and comfortable accommodation and/or well-maintained campsites. Mostly private transportation with occasional public transport when unavoidable.
- Luxury: Hand-picked luxury lodging or pampered campsites. Private and upgraded transportation facilities.
tCO2 = Tonnes of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent
How we do it
As an ethical and responsible travel company, we reduce our carbon footprint by designing trips that are low carbon impact and carefully calculating the impact with the help of an environmental consultancy. We then buy carbon credit equivalents to offset all emissions that cannot be reduced including those resulting from our day-to-day business operations. Our offsetting is done through an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya. On request, every traveller receives their own PDF offset certificate post-travel. Wild Guanabana is the first carbon-neutral travel company in the Middle East & North Africa. Note: We do not sell or issue flight tickets ourselves so consequently we don't offset those emissions.
What does offsetting mean anyway?
It's a way of reducing your ecological impact by 'neutralizing' the impact of your carbon footprint. Actions associated with travel amount to around a third of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Carbon offsetting offers a solution to reduce the impact of your travel by purchasing carbon credits that are invested in activities that reduce CO2. While this doesn't erase all of the environmental impact, it does serve to help reinvest into the planet and contribute to activities which help its conversation. For more information on Carbon offsetting read more from our partners ERCC Carbon and our Sustainable Travel International.
Which month to travel:
Itinerary Details / Price Inclusions & Exclusions
Day 1: Dune hiking, waterfalls and stars (B,L,D)
We arrive at the protected area by bus. We're dropped off at a certain point on the asphalt and then we're left alone to enjoy our adventure. We begin the day by hiking up and across the top of the dunes until we cross the waterfalls and enjoy lunch on a peninsula in the lake. After 4 hours of hiking we reach our campsite, which we set up ourselves, relax and have a barbecue as the sun sets over the lake. Overnight in a tent under the stars.
Day 2: Kayaking, barbecue and a hidden lake (B,L,D)
We wake up early morning to welcome the day and energize. We will then be given an introduction on how to kayak before we set sail to the western side of the lake. It takes 2 hours of relaxed kayaking to get to the other side. We will have a hearty lunch on the plateau surrounded by breathtaking views and enjoy a magnificent night with a star-filled sky.
Day 3: Sunrise and Back to the City (B)
We wake up very early this morning to climb a plateau that allows us to enjoy a peaceful breakfast with a stunning sunrise. It's a magnificent view with the sun seemingly rising from the bottom of the lake. From here we head to the bus and back to the city.
• Accommodation (on double/twin tent basis)
• All activities as mentioned above
• All meals as mentioned above (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
• Round trip from Cairo to Wadi Rayan, Fayoum
• Offsetting all carbon emissions of the journey in an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya (Wild Guanabana is the Middle East and North Africa’s first carbon neutral travel company)
• International flights
• Visa fees
• Personal Travel Insurance
• Tips & gratuities