Kif in the Rif
Why take this trip?
• Discover the charming mountain village of Chefchaouen, known for its bright blue buildings
• Observe a variety of fauna and flora like monkeys, foxes, cedar oak as you hike your way through Place d’Espagne
• Explore mysterious Marrakesh with its snake charmers and exotic markets
• Meet the Berber communities in the foothills of the Atlas mountains
• Relax on a remote and secluded Mediterranean beach with turquoise waters
Pumpkin soup at camp, crossing the equator, sleeping lion & above all making my way to the summit at night are all memories that are hard to wipe out! My life has been forever changed by this magical travel experience!!
Hala Mohie Eldin
The trip was beyond awesome!!
This trip really exceeded my expectations! Wild Guanabana offered me a life altering experience that I'll never forget for as long as I live. They had us well prepared & everything was well organized upon our arrival :)
- Sightseeing and/or relaxation
- Light adventure, no previous experience or training required
- A challenge, no previous experience necessary. A moderate level of fitness and preparation are required
- Previous experience and intensive training is required
- Basic: lodging in guest houses, small hotels and/or camping. Mix of private and public transportation
- Standard: Clean and comfortable accommodation and/or well-maintained campsites. Mostly private transportation with occasional public transport when unavoidable.
- Luxury: Hand-picked luxury lodging or pampered campsites. Private and upgraded transportation facilities.
tCO2 = Tonnes of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent
How we do it
As an ethical and responsible travel company, we reduce our carbon footprint by designing trips that are low carbon impact and carefully calculating the impact with the help of an environmental consultancy. We then buy carbon credit equivalents to offset all emissions that cannot be reduced including those resulting from our day-to-day business operations. Our offsetting is done through an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya. On request, every traveller receives their own PDF offset certificate post-travel. Wild Guanabana is the first carbon-neutral travel company in the Middle East & North Africa. Note: We do not sell or issue flight tickets ourselves so consequently we don't offset those emissions.
What does offsetting mean anyway?
It's a way of reducing your ecological impact by 'neutralizing' the impact of your carbon footprint. Actions associated with travel amount to around a third of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Carbon offsetting offers a solution to reduce the impact of your travel by purchasing carbon credits that are invested in activities that reduce CO2. While this doesn't erase all of the environmental impact, it does serve to help reinvest into the planet and contribute to activities which help its conversation. For more information on Carbon offsetting read more from our partners ERCC Carbon and our Sustainable Travel International.
Which month to travel:
Itinerary Details / Price Inclusions & Exclusions
Day 1: Touching Down in Morocco - (B or D)
Upon arrival to the Casablanca/Fez/Tangiers International Airport, you will be welcomed by a Wild Guanabana team representative then transferred to the gorgeous mountain town of Chefchaouen. The driving distance varies between 5 and 2 hours depending on the point of arrival. We get to spend some time recovering from the flight/driving journey, then explore the charming town with its the narrow streets, bright blue buildings, enchanting medina, cute cafes, and casual atmosphere. The town was founded my Moorish exiles from Spain and the Andalusian influence can still be seen and sensed, today. There are a few good spots worth visiting and we will provide recommendations on where to go and how to get there.
Day 2: Zawiya Village – Talassemtane - (B/L/D)
After a traditional local breakfast, we begin our trek towards Talassemtane National Park passing through different villages along the way. We will come across traditional dwellings, dense forests, agricultural terraces and panoramic views of Chefchaouen and the Ouad Laou Valley. After 5 hours of hiking, we reach the village of Zawiya Habteen, where we will have lunch with a local family in a rural setting. Shortly after lunch, we will explore the mountain village and experience a gastronomical workshop.
Day 3: Place d’Espagne – Taourate - (B/L)
After an early breakfast, we continue our journey by land rover initially towards a different part of the National Park – Place d’Espagne (1.5 h drive). We resume our hike from Place d’Espagne towards the village of Taourate in the high Rif Mountains. Along the way, we get to observe a variety of the park’s fauna and flora– namely monkeys, foxes, pine, cedar, oak trees, etc. We will pause for a break and have lunch on the way. On arrival to Taourate, we will spend time relaxing under tree shade enjoying the view and the serenity of the region. The night will be spent in a rural house in Taourate.
Day 4: God's Bridge - (B/L/D)
The day will start with breakfast in Taourate, followed by a hike to the magnificent region of Akchour in the green Talambote Valley. We will arrive at God’s bridge (45 min away from Akchour) right in time for lunch. God’s bridge is a huge red stone arch that towers 25m above a river. Over countless millennia, the river flowed as an underground watercourse, eroding the rock and carving a path deeper and deeper, leaving the bridge high and dry. Dinner will be served in Akchour, where we get to spend the night in a rural house.
Day 5: Achour – Oued Laou – Targha - (B/L)
After a yummy breakfast, we will leave Akchour and head towards the beautiful Mediterranean beach town of Oued Laou. The main attraction is the remote beach of turquoise color water. We will spend some time unwinding on our own private stretch of sand before we hit the road towards the even more remote beach town of Targha. Lunch will be served by a local family, after which we will explore a few archeological spots and spend the rest of the day enjoying the beach and the easygoing atmosphere. You will feel time stop. We will spend the night either in Targha or will be transferred to a guest house in Chefchaouen.
Day 6: Departure (B)
After the end of our Rif trekking adventure, you will be transferred back to the Casablanca/Fez/Tangiers international airport to catch your flight back home.
• This price is based on a minimum of 4 participants
• Consultation on every aspect of preparation
• All vehicle transfers
• All accommodation as mentioned above
• All meals as mentioned above
• All adventure activities as mentioned above
• All national park fees
•Professional English speaking guides throughout the journey
• First-aid Supplies and experienced professionals in its use
• Offsetting all carbon emissions of the journey in an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya (Wild Guanabana is the Middle East and North Africa’s first carbon neutral travel company)
• International return flights to Morocco
• Meals not indicated in the itinerary
• Optional excursions during free time
• Travel and medical insurance
• Excess baggage charges and airport departure tax
• Discretionary tips and gratuity