The Roof of Egypt - Chasing the Sunrise
Why take this trip?
Climb Egypt's highest summit, Mount Saint Catherine with the field's experts.
Stand on Egypt's rooftop at 2,629m and enjoy the incredible view!
A mentoring program that includes information about gear needed, how to pack and what to expect.
Ideal climbers to WG leaders ratio on the climb.
Pumpkin soup at camp, crossing the equator, sleeping lion & above all making my way to the summit at night are all memories that are hard to wipe out! My life has been forever changed by this magical travel experience!!
Hala Mohie Eldin
The trip was beyond awesome!!
This trip really exceeded my expectations! Wild Guanabana offered me a life altering experience that I'll never forget for as long as I live. They had us well prepared & everything was well organized upon our arrival :)
- Sightseeing and/or relaxation
- Light adventure, no previous experience or training required
- A challenge, no previous experience necessary. A moderate level of fitness and preparation are required
- Previous experience and intensive training is required
- Basic: lodging in guest houses, small hotels and/or camping. Mix of private and public transportation
- Standard: Clean and comfortable accommodation and/or well-maintained campsites. Mostly private transportation with occasional public transport when unavoidable.
- Luxury: Hand-picked luxury lodging or pampered campsites. Private and upgraded transportation facilities.
tCO2 = Tonnes of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent
How we do it
As an ethical and responsible travel company, we reduce our carbon footprint by designing trips that are low carbon impact and carefully calculating the impact with the help of an environmental consultancy. We then buy carbon credit equivalents to offset all emissions that cannot be reduced including those resulting from our day-to-day business operations. Our offsetting is done through an energy efficient stoves project in Kenya. On request, every traveller receives their own PDF offset certificate post-travel. Wild Guanabana is the first carbon-neutral travel company in the Middle East & North Africa. Note: We do not sell or issue flight tickets ourselves so consequently we don't offset those emissions.
What does offsetting mean anyway?
It's a way of reducing your ecological impact by 'neutralizing' the impact of your carbon footprint. Actions associated with travel amount to around a third of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide. Carbon offsetting offers a solution to reduce the impact of your travel by purchasing carbon credits that are invested in activities that reduce CO2. While this doesn't erase all of the environmental impact, it does serve to help reinvest into the planet and contribute to activities which help its conversation. For more information on Carbon offsetting read more from our partners ERCC Carbon and our Sustainable Travel International.
Which month to travel:
Itinerary Details / Price Inclusions & Exclusions
Day 1: Off to Catherine (D):
We'll meet at the WG headquarters to take the bus. The ride will take 7-8 hours depending on the road, we will stop a couple of times on the way for a short break. Reaching Catherine, we will have lunch at Sheikh Moussa's lodge where we will be staying for the next couple of nights. We will have a briefing about the climb, a gear check and we will prepare our backpacks for the next day! We should head to bed by 5 pm in order to prepare our bodies for the summit’s long day.
Day 2: Climbing Mount Catherine (2,629m) (B/L/D):
Today, we will wake up at 12 am, have breakfast, pack our lunch and head towards the mountains! The ascend will take around 5 hours during which we will stop for short breaks. We will reach the summit at around 5 am, and wait until the sun rises. We make sure we take photos to document the moment, sign the mountain's book and start heading down. The descend will take around 3 hours, our lunch and dinner will be waiting for us at the camp when we arrive. We will eat, gather around to talk or play some games!
Day 3: Back to Cairo (B/L):
We will wake up at 7 am, have breakfast and visit Saint Catherine's Monastery, which will take around an hour and half, after that we will take the bus back to Cairo.
Guidelines and Emergency:
You are here to enjoy the nature, not to harm it. Please take nothing but pictures, and leave nothing but your awesome vibe. Our WG journeys are tracked, the group’s movement is lively updated to our headquarters; and we will always take the move in time in case of any emergency.
All the adventurers participating in our journeys have to follow our WG leader. You must put on the protective gear when applicable. Always try as much as you can to walk in pairs. Never put your hand in a bush, or try to move the rocks; reptiles love these places. Try to always stay close to the group so that you can avoid getting lost. Never panic, our WG leader is well experienced to handle the situation. Always stay close to the group and to our WG leader; always inform any of your group mates if nature calls.
- This price is based on 16 participants
- Accommodation (Eco-lodge)
- All activities as mentioned above
- All meals as mentioned above (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- Round trip from Cairo to Catherine
- Program design
- First Aid trained local guides and camp crew
- Permits when needed
- Experienced English speaking guides
- Personal items
Cancellation of a booking or failure to join a trip will result in retention of funds by Wild Guanabana as follows:
* Upon receipt of written cancellation by any member of the trip 21 days or longer prior to departure, the full amount will be refunded.
* If a cancellation is received at least 14 days and up to 21 days prior to departure, 50% of the package price will be retained by Wild Guanabana.
* If a cancellation is received less than 14 days prior to departure, 100% of the total package price will be retained by Wild Guanabana and all outstanding payments will become payable immediately.
* Wild Guanabana reserves the right to terminate, at their discretion and with immediate effect, the participation of any person on the trip with the aforementioned policy applicable.